10 January 2010

The Best of 2009: It Begins

The massive amount of research needed to come up with the best albums, songs and artists of 2009 is underway, but before we get into that I have two things I want to get out there right away:

  1. 2009 was actually a pretty damn good year for music.
  2. I’ve been looking and listening over some of last year’s top selections, and frankly I'm rather proud of the finished list. You should check it out if you haven’t already.

Speaking of looking back on 2008, I’m particularly pleased by the recognition (sadly all of it too long in coming) that my #1 pick for Album of the Year is now getting. The Botticellis’s debut was four years in the making and runs just over half an hour, but a year later I am still mad about this record and play it often. In my original review I called up the spirit of Brian Wilson (whose influence was obvious on a few bands that year, including Fleet Foxes, and is bubbling up even more nowadays), but on some tracks -- like the one below -- it’s the ghostly presence of Roy Orbison who really haunts the track.

Have a listen, see what you think, check em out on iTunes or on their (eck) MySpace page, and be sure to buy the music if you like it:

“Old Home Movies” by The Botticellis from Old Home Movies

No comments:

ShareThis!